Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Online now: No visible users
Ender bug hunter
This game is a ton of fun, if you were a fan of the original title, but disliked the second, pick this up and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I have it for xbox, but I've heard great things about the PC version as well.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I wished they would have made the first version OS X-friendly. Deus Ex remains my all time favorite game.
I've never played the original, but I got a copy of it for free with HR on OnLive. Should I play the older one first, or can it wait?
user Stupid cockwomble
Never played the original?

Oh, my stars and garters! ::swoons::
Pithecanthropus wrote:
I wished they would have made the first version OS X-friendly. Deus Ex remains my all time favorite game.

But they did!

Well not they, but "they". Know what I mean? You can find a copy of Deus X for OS X/Intel, if you know where to look.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I have played both 1 & 2, will most likely pick up 3 later this year.
Ender bug hunter
MacAddict4Life wrote:
I've never played the original, but I got a copy of it for free with HR on OnLive. Should I play the older one first, or can it wait?

I'd play the original first if you can, and I only say that because it makes much of the ambient dialog, and many of the HR headlines, more relevant.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Playing it right now. It's awesome.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
user wrote:
Never played the original?

Oh, my stars and garters! ::swoons::

Honestly can't remember finishing the original here. Think I did but I totally forgot it.
user Stupid cockwomble
There was so much in that game. I played it many times, figuring out different ways to run the levels and then when I was through the standard routes, I used cheats to go through opposite ways, just to see how the game would react.

I would usually bail on the game in the final level, because the ending was boring compared to the rest of the game.
user wrote:
There was so much in that game. I played it many times, figuring out different ways to run the levels and then when I was through the standard routes, I used cheats to go through opposite ways, just to see how the game would react.

I did that, too. Or I'd follow a path, go back follow a different path, go back... I played that game so many times and I still found new things all the time. Brilliant game and none have come close to it. I wish more games would give you options like Deus Ex did.
user Stupid cockwomble
I'm sure it's a LOT of hard work. It's so much simpler to force the player to only travel in one direction and to program the sprites' responses to that direction. Some games widen the approach so you get the feeling that there are multiple ways to the same goal, but DEx was in a class all it's own.
user Stupid cockwomble
And, on topic, that's what I will be critically looking at in the new game, esp seeing how more tightly scripted IW was.
Deus Ex was UT engine, didn't use sprites other than foliage or simple things.
user Stupid cockwomble
I'm behind on my terms. I studied game programming for a little bit, but back in the DOOM days. How are the AIs generally termed now?
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
user wrote:
AIs generally termed now?

Bots, Characters, Actors

In Unreal Ed you build the map/level, add pickups and then add paths for the bots to follow. Then you can add custom scripts or actors if you want the bots to something special or different out of their normal routine. How the AI gets attached or assigned to a particular model I don't know. Never dug that deep into UEd.
Rukh 330417291599
i'm currently kicking around Heng Sha and enjoying it quite a bit. definitely feels like a deus ex game. but i'm gonna go out and say i enjoyed Invisible War even though it wasn't as good as the original, it built upon the previous story in interesting ways.

this one, i'm not far enough along plot wise to say much. but the atmosphere and missions are solid so far.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
user wrote:
AIs generally termed now?

Bots, Characters, Actors

In Unreal Ed you build the map/level, add pickups and then add paths for the bots to follow. Then you can add custom scripts or actors if you want the bots to something special or different out of their normal routine. How the AI gets attached or assigned to a particular model I don't know. Never dug that deep into UEd.

When I did Ghost Recon editing, you could change how the AI behaved or responded to things. Not that hard to really change things. Its probably all scripted.
Well, I stick fiddled up and now i'm restarting. Just a warning, don't do what I did :p
user Stupid cockwomble
You mean fiddlesticks up or do you mean restarting?
Don't fiddlesticks up how I did. I don't mind restarting the game. It's going to get played through many times.
user Stupid cockwomble
Ok, I'll try not to fiddlesticks up like you did, but that leaves the field of fiddlesticks ups pretty wide open.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Well stick fiddled up is better than stick fiddled over so consider it a win.
Well, let's just say not all upgrades are good
Also, this space intentionally left blank

Finally bought an Xbox 360 & the first game I got was DE:HR. I can't get past the first "boss." What a pisser.

I stay alive for about 20 seconds before I'm blasted dead and the reload time is 45 seconds (yes, I timed it). That makes for a pretty frustrating gaming experience.
chikie The same deviled egg
Hide in the supply rooms. Use grenades.

Sadly, he's the easiest of the bosses. That's really the worst part of the game. They put such a huge emphasis on stealth and evasion and then have boss fights with no such options.
Also, if you have plenty of ammo for the stun gun, keep shooting him with that.

Do not try to do a takedown. 100% of the time it will end badly for you.
what chikie said.
Ender bug hunter
chikie wrote:
Sadly, he's the easiest of the bosses.

Personally, I thought that Yelena Fedorova was by far the easiest boss, but then I also had the Typhoon...
pff, how are you going to hack a dudes computer with that?!
Ender bug hunter
With a brute force attack.
Ender wrote:
chikie wrote:
Sadly, he's the easiest of the bosses.

Personally, I thought that Yelena Fedorova was by far the easiest boss, but then I also had the Typhoon...

The first time I played the game, she was pretty hard, but the second time through on gimme deus ex difficulty she wasn't too bad because I had the electrical immunity aug.
user Stupid cockwomble
I always used the Rocket Launcher on him and hid behind the post to the right of me to reload. One I was out of ammo, a couple of grenades did the trick (usually had to run for the far right corner of the room to get a little hiding/protection for that part). I might have had some level of stealth by then, also.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Deus Ex: Human Revolution