Considering a 3DS (Pssst, Malkin)

Online now: Google [Bot]
I just got an email from GameStop; if I trade in my DS Lite this weekend with a coupon they emailed me, I can get a 3DS for $100. $70 for my DS Lite seems like a pretty great deal (does anybody disagree?), so I'm currently inclined to go for it.

I only own 3 GBA games, so I am not too worried about losing the GBA slot. The one thing I am worried about is losing battery life. I hear the 3DS battery life is awful! Is it as bad as I've heard? Do I actually care, or do the new features (other than the 3D) outweigh the battery life loss?

If the battery isn't an issue, then the only question is if I really want to spend $100 when I don't use my DS THAT often.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
You might be interested in the article I just posted in the 3DS price drop thread.

$100 goes a long way towards an iPod touch.
I have an iPhone already. There are quite a few kinds of games that do not work well on a touchscreen device.

Thanks for the input, but your stance on the value of the 3DS has been pretty clear.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I think the DSi is great. I have two of them here in my house.

I just think the price of the 3DS at the start was too high for such a gimmicky device with no games. It is reasonable at $170 but there still are no games for it really.
That's a big part of why I'm interested in a 3DS. I do not have a DSi, and I would like the increase internet connectivity.
dv
The DS Lite has by far the best battery life of the bunch.

WPA encryption for DS WiFi might be worth upgrading though, if your games support it.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Well if its a white Lite like mine, thats a nice $100 when other places might only give about $30 for that. Are all Gamestops doing that? Tempting here but I'd rather spend the $100 on a new PC case. Now that I've got dual 460s, I can't run it closed anymore.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
The battery life on the 3DS is my chief complaint, but it's mainly because I've been spoilt by its predecessors. Unlike the Lite or DSi, which could go all week, the 3DS really does need to be charged every day. I haven't really run into problems with it running out on me while I've been actively playing, but if you leave it on in street pass mode or what have you, it'll be dead or dying the next morning if you don't charge it.

They include the charging cradle, so they've made it as easy as possible to recharge if you're good about remembering to drop it in its place. If you're like me and tend to forget things in your backpack, it can be kind of annoying though. I blame my laziness more than anything.

In spite of all of TechnoBill's attempts to convince the world otherwise, I'm overall very happy with my purchase. Really, my only complaints are the battery life (and only in comparison to the Lite) and the fact that I can't get it to connect to our network at work, which is just strange and not a problem I've seen reported elsewhere.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
If its anything like the PSP's battery life...yeah its not great but its certainly not terrible unless you plan to play it all day long. Course battery life would vary on that depending on the title. I could get a lot of time out of just BlazBlue Portable compared to other titles. Then some titles drain the battery more when left in standby mode. Valkyria was always rather good about battery drain in standby but I have some others that if you leave it on in standby it will literally be drained within a day or two.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Considering a 3DS (Pssst, Malkin)