You like Bungie games?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
Then you have to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG6--4r_qk

It's basically the history of Bungie. Almost an hour long (55 mins) but totally worth it.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Thanks uki, I'm going to try to watch this weekend.
Bungie broke my heart when they abandoned halo for the Mac and let themselves be bought by microsoft. Doesn't mean I didn't play halo on the xbox, but I lost the special place in my heart for them that I previously held for them.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
user Stupid cockwomble
I hated that they did that (actually lost some sleep over it), but apparently they would have gone under if they hadn't, so we would have lost them anyway.
Dan Airman Dan
Halo 1 did have a Mac release. It wasted me off that the sequels didn't.
I want more Myth games. That's what I'm wasted about.
user Stupid cockwomble
You can play Halo Wars.
Is it similar? I haven't really paid much attention to any of the Halo games.

Oh I also don't have a 360, so that's an issue.
user Stupid cockwomble
I don't know much about it. I borrowed a copy and took it back after I saw that it was an RTS. I didn't understand why they produced it until I saw that Halo was originally supposed to be a Myth-style game.
Yeah I saw that in the documentary, very interesting. (I got about halfway through.)

A RTS game on a console sounds like a headache.
user wrote:
I hated that they did that (actually lost some sleep over it), but apparently they would have gone under if they hadn't, so we would have lost them anyway.

Apple should have stepped in and tried to buy Bungie. In fact Apple should have bought a bunch of game companies a long time ago, just to get the focus to move to the Mac as a gaming platform. Yay, we just got Bioshock 1! (actually we've had it for a while, but still).
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
I want more Myth games. That's what I'm wasted about.

Myth 3 wasn't that great,from what I hear (didn't play it but heard it sucked in comparison). But Myth IV could have been great. Another game that could use a reboot - Marathon.
Apple buy game companies then do what with them..iPod/iPhone games? pfft...that would be worse than them going out of business or being bought by M$.

PC still hasn't gotten Halo 3. I'm sure we'll eventually get it with Windows 8 or something..lol. The Halo 2 port wasn't that super. It was better than Xbox for sure but I don't think performance was all there. A Mac version at the time would have been horrors.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Apple buy game companies then do what with them..iPod/iPhone games? pfft...that would be worse than them going out of business or being bought by M$.

PC still hasn't gotten Halo 3. I'm sure we'll eventually get it with Windows 8 or something..lol. The Halo 2 port wasn't that super. It was better than Xbox for sure but I don't think performance was all there. A Mac version at the time would have been horrors.

I'm still waiting for an "unofficial" Halo 2 port.
blurt mundus vult decipi
Marathon did have a reboot-- Aleph One. There aren't many mapmakers still active (bless you, bless you, Goran) but there's a nearly endless supply of old maps.

The movie was nice. It glossed over the Marathon days, though. And what happened to Halo Wars? I got a kick out of seeing Claude Errara. Now for a group shot with him and LLorenz and treellama and Tony Smith and well, did I miss anybody important?
I might have stayed making Marathon maps had a Aleph One ported in Tempus Irae...or maybe they did but I never caught it. I totally fell in love with the texture set in that game. Still have all my old classic maps somewhere.
I might have stayed making Marathon maps had a Aleph One ported in Tempus Irae...or maybe they did but I never caught it. I totally fell in love with the texture set in that game. Still have all my old classic maps somewhere.

Imma let you finnish, but Tempus Irae is my favorite 3rd party scenario of all time!

And here it is, for Aleph One:

http://nardo.bungie.org/alephone.php
user Stupid cockwomble
I've busy telling all the young folks at work to get Aleph One, usually right after they reveal to me that they think Bungie started with Myth.
user wrote:
I've busy telling all the young folks at work to get Aleph One, usually right after they reveal to me that they think Bungie started with Myth.

Tell them that the 10th military Mjolnir Mark IV can kick Master Chief's ass.

Yes kids, IV was better than V. Back in the day, our shields did not recharge automatically, and we have to find pattern buffers if we wanted to save. And I bet if Leela could have made a hologram she would have been a lot better looking than Cortana. :p

Now get off my space colony ship!
ukimalefu wrote:

Imma let you finnish, but Tempus Irae is my favorite 3rd party scenario of all time!

Ahhhh, I wish I had caught that years ago! Been thinkin of dropping my 7410 back in and returning my Cube to an OS9 machine. Think I'd boot it up once again just to mess around with that :D. Maybe sell my 7447a since I really don't use it enough anymore.

If they had bought bungie they could have put out halo 2 and 3 as Mac exclusives, or Mac first.
I've played very little Halo, but I'd much rather play it on a console than a Mac.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
I've played very little Halo, but I'd much rather play it on a console than a Mac.

I find FPS 100x easier on a computer than a console.
My nostromo helps but even with a regular kb if find it much easier to "get around"
jr565 wrote:

If they had bought bungie they could have put out halo 2 and 3 as Mac exclusives, or Mac first.

Nah, Steve would have likely ruined it since games aren't important to him.
ukimalefu wrote:

Ahhhh, I wish I had caught that years ago! Been thinkin of dropping my 7410 back in and returning my Cube to an OS9 machine. Think I'd boot it up once again just to mess around with that :D. Maybe sell my 7447a since I really don't use it enough anymore.

Uh... Aleph One works on OS X Intel Macs, and Windows and Linux. I believe Power PCs aren't supported anymore.
Conner Of Gallifrey
While Apple buying Bungie (especially in the early 2000s) would have been a stick fiddling disaster, it's a move I think they should make now. That, or just invest in it - the fact that WoW runs 2-3x better on the same hardware when you're booted into Windows is just sad.
What would be the point of Apple buying Bungie?
ukimalefu wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Uh... Aleph One works on OS X Intel Macs, and Windows and Linux. I believe Power PCs aren't supported anymore.

So then either old version or I just won't play it.
Conner wrote:
While Apple buying Bungie (especially in the early 2000s) would have been a stick fiddling disaster, it's a move I think they should make now. That, or just invest in it - the fact that WoW runs 2-3x better on the same hardware when you're booted into Windows is just sad.

Won't do anything if Apple isn't willing to update OpenGL properly. You'll still have Bungie games running 2-3x slower on Mac vs PC.
Conner Of Gallifrey
What would be the point of Apple buying Bungie?

My bad, I meant gaming in general - I think Bungie would be a horrible company to buy honestly. They should buy someone like Bethesda (iD loves them already), or maybe put a significant bit of cash down with EA and form a partnership. *shrug*
What would be the point of Apple buying a large game company?
If Apple wanted to conquer the gaming world in one swift stroke leaving nothing but a wake of destruction and devastation...they buy EA.
If Apple wanted to assault the gaming industry beach and do little more than ruffle feathers...they buy something like Bethesda.
If Apple wanted to become Sith Lord of the gaming industry which would eventually incite a rebellion against all their wicked schemes...they buy Activision.
No, what would they do with a gaming company? I don't see the point.
No, what would they do with a gaming company?

Make money?

Nintendo makes games, Sony makes games and Microsoft makes games.

iOS gaming is big, but Apple doesn't make games. Why not?
Conner Of Gallifrey

Gaming is one of the last bits of the Computer market they don't "own".
ukimalefu wrote:
No, what would they do with a gaming company?

Make money?

Nintendo makes games, Sony makes games and Microsoft makes games.

iOS gaming is big, but Apple doesn't make games. Why not?

Because it's not that lucrative, especially most AAA titles, which is seems mostly like what you guys are suggesting. They already make money off of games sold in their stores. Bungie made money for MS in the sense that Halo helps sell Xboxs, but Xbox is still a really small part in the grand scheme of MS.

It's also un-Apple like in that all the software they make, for the most part, is for creating or providing content. Final Cut, iWork, iLife, all of it. Rarely are they giving customers original content. Apple has such a carefully curated brand that an Apple game would be really hard to authentically create.

A move that would make sense would be buying Valve, but only for the Steam network. They would probably shut it down and integrate some of its technology (and user base) into Game Center and some of its technology into the App Store. It would still be unclear what they could do with Valve the game developer.
Conner wrote:

Gaming is one of the last bits of the Computer market they don't "own".

They "own" portable gaming these days. PC gaming is clearly not a market they care too much about.
user Stupid cockwomble
MACS ARE NOT TOYS.
Right, they're for getting serious work done. Play with your iPod.

But beyond that, I think PC gaming is just a relatively small market.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

You like Bungie games?

Page: 1, 2