Video Games 1 - Cali 0

Online now: Google [Bot]
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Supreme Court rejects ban on violent video games

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Monday struck down California's ban on the sale of violent video games to minors, in a 7-2 decision emphasizing the free speech interests of young people and giving video games the same protection of books and movies.
"Grimm's Fairy Tales, for example, are grim indeed," he said, observing that the California law was the latest in a long series of failed attempts to censor violent entertainment for minors. Before video games, he said, were campaigns against cheap novels comic books, television and music lyrics.
Scalia, in a footnote, responded to Alito's concerns directly. "Reading Dante is unquestionably more cultured and intellectually edifying than playing Mortal Kombat," Scalia wrote. "But these cultural and intellectual differences are not constitutional ones."

I'm surprised and impressed.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Getting carded for buying video games years ago even though I looked well over the age is one of the reasons I stopped buying from retail stores and shifted to online. I don't want to have to fling my ID out because some Target computer system says to check ID on a zombie game because its rated M and I looked like I was late 20s.

In my zombie plan, any Target/Walmart associate is automatically becoming zombie bait...unless its a cute ditsy girl who looks good in a bikini holding a sniper rifle :shifty:...ok High School of the Dead flashback there :D
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I'd much rather prefer a big butch of a girl wearing camo and carrying two sawed off shotties if the zombies were amongst us.
You gotta think of repopulation! That and horror movies call for the big boob bimbo to either be the main love interest or looks good while screaming in terror as they get eaten!! :D
Rukh 330417291599
a rather hilarious situation presented itself the other day.

i was out on a business lunch with a buddy, and we happened to be acquiring our copies of Duke forever. anyway, as we walked out of the GameStop, a highschool kid got our attention, and asked if we could make a purchase for him. not booze. not cigs. he wanted COD black ops, and the clerks wouldn't sell it to him cause he was 16.

anyway, i laughed, but my buddy obliged.

makes me wanna wax nostalgic for the days when trouble-makin' teens needed to know older friends to buy them party supplies.

i couldn't imagine having to do that for duke 3d or doom back in my childhood.
user Stupid cockwomble
At least when you buy them a six-pack you can keep some for yourself.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Sanity and compassion have returned to the republic.

Well, maybe.
Wow, wanting Black Ops...game is terrible. The Call of Duty has a strong influence on the weak minded :D
Call of duty is cool. I mean, I've only played the first two, but they were great.
Yeah, anything made by Infinity Ward was decent...stuff shuffled off to Treyarch is generally sub par. All they've done right is the Nazi zombies mode in their games. I keep on asking people why do they keep playing Black Ops if all they do is complain about how much it sucks...never get a straight answer. Played a lil Black Ops MP with a friend. Absolutely hated it. Just run around like a bunch of horny rabbits blasting anything that moves, end up dying from summoned gunships constantly.

I really don't see how the franchise is going to survive much longer. They've been using the Quake 3 engine since forever. MW3 likely will be similar. Problem is they can't really do Battlefield 3 level of stuff with that old engine even if it is heavily modified. They needed their own engine years ago.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I don't like Call of Duty myself, but I still welcome this ruiling.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
This should have been decided a long time ago, once home consoles started to take hold of the market and have actual story lines besides "Here is a zombie please kill it."

Still glad for the ruling, though.
Damned activists judg...um, justices!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Video Games 1 - Cali 0