Official E3 Thread

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Donkey Butter, iDaemon, Pariah
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
Starts today! :D What are looking forward to, what can you live without, etc.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
I watched the new Tomb Raider "teaser demo". They made Lara Croft sound like an american bimbo, and not the usual British bad ass. Still looked great.

Live stream here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/E3
It officially starts tomorrow for me. Or at least thats when Nintendo will be hosting it's presentation. Fingers crossed that along with the gooey details of the upcoming console they also show previews of a new Toon Link game and Animal Crossing. The Toon Zelda game must move off the DS back onto the console, as Wind Waker was the best Zelda game ever made. And AC needs to move onto the DS as a portable sequel is needed.
I've lost nearly all faith in Sony and I'm only looking forward to more Drake 3 footage.

Edit: Another Star Fox & Pikimin game would rock as well
Saw a rumor that the new Nintendo will be called just "Nintendo".
Yeah, I'm pretty much just waiting for Nintendo's keynote, too.

The news of the Halo CE HD remake is pretty alright I guess.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
The Old Republic...at least some form of new info out. Hopefully release date.

More info on Sony's new PSP.

More Dreamcast classics for XBL/PSN/PC released. Hopefully including SoA or Alien Front Online.
Old Republic intro movie...freaken awesome. Much better than the load of mediocre that Blizz churns out nowadays.

PS Vita...sigh...Sony epic fails at naming a handheld. "Dude check out my Vita!"...Who the heck wants to say that?

Lose the Vita, keep it PSV...maybe better. But still...ehhhh, totally makes me rethink preorder even though I would like one.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
At that price, I'm totally going to pre-order. Very excited.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Old Republic intro movie...freaken awesome. Much better than the load of mediocre that Blizz churns out nowadays.

PS Vita...sigh...Sony epic fails at naming a handheld. "Dude check out my Vita!"...Who the heck wants to say that?

Lose the Vita, keep it PSV...maybe better. But still...ehhhh, totally makes me rethink preorder even though I would like one.

They should keep it NGP. Next Generation Portable. Make it so!

Yeah, it looks cool, but "Vita" sucks. Even PSP 2 would be better.
Want

Star Wars Kinect

When he uses The Force to move the ship aside, that was awesome. Yes, it seemed like he had some problem with it, but... he was playing a young padawan after all so...

:D Image
Nintendo's new console is the WiiU

Looks interesting, but I'll have to see more about it before I decide. On the other hand, what they showcased for 3DS looks tempting.
So is it a console or a Nintendo iPad?

From the sound of it...those controllers are going to be pricey, yikes!
The Old Republic...at least some form of new info out. Hopefully release date.

I saw an AWESOME cinematic video on Kotaku. I SO want a full movie from the people who do those videos.
So is it a console or a Nintendo iPad?

From the sound of it...those controllers are going to be pricey, yikes!

The controllers are just controllers, with a touch screen. It's NOT a portable device. I was watching the live cast, and there was a little box next to the TV when they showed people playing games, even if they didn't show the box itself (not sure, I started watching late)

Yes, the new controllers may be expensive, but they also said that some players could use the new one, and others wii remotes, for multiplayer games. So at least for some games, not everybody would need a new controller.
belloq451 wrote:

The news of the Halo CE HD remake is pretty alright I guess.

I was just wondering what the Red vs Blue guys will do with it...
belloq451 wrote:
Nintendo's new console is the WiiU

Looks interesting, but I'll have to see more about it before I decide. On the other hand, what they showcased for 3DS looks tempting.

I will have to pick up a 3DS now. Damn all those kick ass games for being announced. I said I wanted a portable Animal Crossing sequel and they delivered. Plus a new Paper Mario game! The Paper Mario series are my favourite Mario games from the franchise.
I'm looking forward to what my club Nintendo Platinum reward is going to be when it's announced in a couple of weeks. As with the major focus they showed at E3 about the Zelda franchises 25th anniversary I'm sure it'll have something to do with that.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I've been so busy this week that I haven't had time to look at Wii U much (what a terrible name) but viewing the trailers for all of the upcoming games in 3D on my 3DS has me even more pumped! 3DS is going to be truly sweet.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
That 3DS screen is going to do to you what the "OptiGrab" did to Steve Martin's customers.

:lol:
Yeah I have to admit, I'm more excited about the 3DS stuff than Wiiu. Even though I don't have one.

Yet.
Some of the 3DS stuff will be getting Vita ports too when it comes out. So, they'll need to get a lot of big exclusives to really compete well with it.
Nintendo Flagship titles are not only often some of the best games around, they have the advantage (for Nintendo) of being exclusive. You won't find Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc anywhere else. "Hardcore" gamers may sometimes laugh at Nintendo, but those titles are still the ones that appeal to mass audiences.
Nintendo publishes many portable games of which all are naturally exclusive titles. Whereas Sony has few and far in between and will have to rely almost entirely on 3rd party publishers promising not to try and make more money by going to multiple hardware. Of course they could just go about it the Microsoft way and buy up dev teams or pay for exclusivity contracts.
I just saw the demo footage for Drake 3. It looks like nothing new/special was added compared to the last 2 titles in the series, just more of the same. If the story line is solid like the previous titles however I will still be picking it up.

Note how the dev team has the difficulty set to Baby mode as at the end between 4:03-4:09 Drake is shot like 10 times and only has 1 small red streak show up on the screen instead of dying. And than directly after he survives a grenade blast with not even 1 red streak appearing. LOL
Well they really can't do anything new. The hardware is tapped beyond it's limit. The PS3 and 360 weren't supposed to be running this long. But as long as they can make money, they'll keep promoting ancient hardware. Its troubling that neither company really has the next gen solidified and only Nintendo is releasing something new which is also, current gen. WiiU to me is just a stopgap machine. It will serve it's purpose when M$ and Sony finally get serious again, but then it will need replacement. Likely why they didn't choose a new name for it. Riding off the Wii name is safer and technically it isn't next gen. It's what Wii should have been if Nintendo was interested in competing toe to toe with M$ and Sony.
It's what Wii should have been if Nintendo was interested in competing toe to toe with M$ and Sony.

Huh? Nintendo kicked Sony and M$'s asses.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Also, both Sony and Microsoft said early on that these systems would be around a long time.

By your reasoning, the playstation 3 is the same gen as the PS1 and the 360 is the same gen as the original xbox. They both kept the original names...
As for tapping the systems beyond their limit, that's wrong too. All they need to do is make a more efficient engine, or think up a different style of gameplay that we haven't seen before, and minds will be blown yet again.
All right, I finally had the chance to watch some Wii U videos, and despite its stupid name, Nintendo will once again be getting more money from me. :p
TechnoBill Freakazoid
According to a Wii rep, the Wii U is only going to support one tablet controller that will be bundled with the console. Additional gamers will be restricted to using the Wiimote only.

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-u-tablet-co ... separately

http://www.gamezone.com/news/item/confi ... ontroller/

It makes sense given the fact that it will be streaming video and other data to the tablet from the console and vice versa. Multiple tablets would be too much to handle along with game processing duties.

I just wonder what this thing is going to cost.

A 6.2" tablet is approaching the realm of iPad competitors like the Blackberry Playbook (7") and many Android 7" tablets. All of which sell for $400 and up just for the tablet.

The console and tablet for the Wii U had better be no more than $400 or the price to enter the playing field will be too high and will exclude many families.

I'm really curious to see how this pans out.
The Wii U can't be compared directly to tablets like iPad or Android, people need to stop comparing apples to oranges. This is just a game controller which is completely dependent on the console to function. You aren't going to throw it in your bag and use it on the go. And for that matter it likely won't have any Apps or user storage capacity other than storing game saves/Miis like the current Wii remotes do. Nintendo likes to price their systems at the lower end of the spectrum so I'll say $249 especially considering this doesn't hit shelves until mid-late 2012
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I'm talking screen size and hardware.

It has to have a beefy chip in it to power the screen and process the stream of data being thrown at it.

It isn't going to be a cheap toss around toy.

The price will be high on this console I'm willing to bet.
Nintendo never sells at a loss...
Ender bug hunter
Malkin wrote:
Nintendo never sells at a loss...

Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
$300-$350 at launch.
The Wii was a fad machine. It never had any hope of competing toe to toe with Sony/M$ in terms of raw power. You can shout sales figures all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it was still a fad machine. In a way it was a smart move since Nintendo didn't lose money on it. But it just never had the power to really do much beyond that. If Nintendo had gone for power, they would have had something to compete with PS3/360 back then and right now all three would be likely sitting in the same spot. Nintendo sadly isn't willing to take risks about losing money on consoles. Shame cause they'd make it all up easily on software sales. Plus launching a cutting edge machine will attract developers even more.

Actually the 360 and PS3 were scheduled for being discontinued by now, think actually a year or two ago. But since they've been able to get more life out of them, their operation was extended.

Traditional design of gaming consoles was, build for tomorrow and tap it out maybe years down the road. By that time, its time to launch the successor. M$ changed this with the Xbox, although one could maybe argue it was the Dreamcast which changed this. But the Xbox was the first true PC in a box turned console and literally entered a market where it was tapped from the start. There wasn't anything special about it and it's life expectancy was as such. The 360 and PS3 both were completely tapped within the first year of launch. But they've lasted now for well beyond their limit because even tapped out they'd look pretty. Course most console gamers won't know the difference anyways unless they owned gaming PCs and could see the extra visuals that consoles can't do.

How this became a problem is simple. Console makers relied to heavy on mainstream PC part manufacturers. Using IBM for the CPUs is one thing since consoles have used a lot of RISC parts before, but going straight to NV/ATI for graphics...not good. Their stake in the market is not all there. They make a lot more money off other markets. Console gaming to them is just a side job. They slap together a chip, put a flashy name on it, and then boom...instant cash cow. The level of R&D required, which past consoles had, is effectively cut by a lot. This helps costs but it also hurts the consoles in the long run. Those who did all the custom chips really were awesome. They planned way ahead in advance and created works of art. PS1 is a fine example. By specs its crap now, but Sony got spectacular life out of it because it was designed especially for the console market. Really 2MB VRAM on even PC boards of the time could not handle effects as good as the PS1. Same as the 8MB VRAM PS2. Really that sucker should have been buried early on in it's era but the tricks they unlocked in it as time went kept it alive.

In a way, if Apple got serious about gaming...prolly post Jobs retirement/etc, they'd be in a great position to do it since they are doing inhouse designs on the iPad and such. Thats where things can get more creative. All the gaming companies besides M$ used to do this. Sure programming for some was a *bleep* but there was always a new trick they'd learn from the hardware that you can't from mainstreaming the parts.
TechnoBill wrote:
According to a Wii rep, the Wii U is only going to support one tablet controller that will be bundled with the console. Additional gamers will be restricted to using the Wiimote only.

I read something from a "Nintendo rep", that it MAY support TWO new controllers.
I think this is great

2 players, One screen

3D TV gives both players a whole screen, instead of one half each. They should make a bigger one.
The Wii was a fad machine.

You just wish you bought stock right before that "fad". ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Official E3 Thread

Page: 1, 2