The Official: What sucks about Duke Nukem Forever...thread

Online now: Google [Bot]
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Downloading the demo now...yay! :D
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Downloading the demo now...yay! :D

Also downloading the demo, I got my key because I have all the DLC for Borderlands (which makes it a GOTY:Edition)
user Stupid cockwomble
Do tell. I also have GOTY Borderlands. Is Duke free for me?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
user wrote:
Do tell. I also have GOTY Borderlands. Is Duke free for me?

You get early access to the DEMO of Duke, as part of the First Access Club.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
After this long, I really don't have any drive to play this game. I'd much rather be playing borderlands 2
Ok first off...

Absolutely love the demo is an actual demo and not a multiplayer demo. Duke's humor is 100% intact aside from a lil more colorful word use. The first scene of the demo is a Duke classic. If you've seen the feces vid, yes you can pick up feces and throw it around in the demo. It is...epic...don't tell Bren :D.

The game runs very well on my rig which makes me happy. The overall feel of it makes me think its gonna work good on a wide assortment of hardware.

What I don't like:

-Weapons limited to just 2. Come on guys, stop copying everyone else. This is unacceptable. Duke is Duke. He's the king of blowing crap up and a large assortment of toys. This better not continue into final release. I WANT ALL WEAPONS!!
-The Duke monster truck isn't the best controlling. Personally thinking the vehicle parts of this game are going to be gimmicks more than actually useful. But we'll see.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
iPad edition?
crumble wrote:
iPad edition?

Watch the DNF feces or girls video online and then consider if Apple would ever allow Duke to grace the pages of their app store ;D
Rukh 330417291599
i've made it fairly far in the game (i believe), and recently defeated the Alien Queen. which is the large three breasted tentacle monster seen in some previews.

i'm digging the total oldschool feel of the game, but it's very clear that this is really just a series of gameplay ideas, and encounters that were never really finished properly. as such the game feels disjointed.

it's also not even close to top of the line graphics, and on the 360 i can see some screen tearing on occasion.

that all said, and given the givens, i'm enjoying it.
Console versions are real sloppy ports atm.

Personally I think it needed more time being refined by Gearbox. It looks like 3D Realms maybe had 70% of the work done but it was maybe in an alpha form. Gearbox took it and tried to get it refined very quickly but obviously couldn't do it perfectly. Likely under pressure to get it out not only by fans but the stakeholders. If they would have said, 2012 release...prolly would have had people rolling eyes and saying "here we go again." By then it would have been too late since new consoles are coming.

Access Club people like me are scheduled to be getting free first DLC. But I hear theres about 10-15 levels that were not ready by release which are going to have to be released as DLC addons. This makes sense since there are parts in the story which could have had some filler level. Looks like 3D Realms got the main story done then were working on the filler. When you look at the original E3 trailers after beating the game, you'll see there was a lot of ideas and content which 3D Realms was exploring. I'm sure we'll be seeing that as DLC.

Don't get me wrong tho, I'm really glad Gearbox just got this done. I love it. The game totally feels like Duke and it is a blast to play. Gearbox is even possibly going to patch out the 2 weapon limit. So, even better. What I really hate right now is all the hate coming down on it from the critics. Most of the reviews are plain outright vile like they are writing it because of a grudge against Gearbox. Then you got others written by toddlers who never played Duke and are rating it down because of things which are what the franchise is known for. You just read them and think...wow, you just made yourself look real stupid.

I was surprised Game Trailers fell to this too. I watched the review and wanted to slug the reviewer because everything it was harping on was acting like it shouldn't be in a modern game and he spoke like a person who was in diapers when Duke originally was made. Criticizing it for things Duke 3D did and it was praised.

I really don't blame the PR company with Gearbox for wanting to blacklist a ton of reviewers. Sure they are getting jumped on for it but a lot of the review sites should not even be permitted to exist after releasing such unprofessional reviews.
I'd say the reasons to play this game are nostalgia and FINALLY!, it's out!

I'd like to play it.

(But Shadow Warrior was better and somebody should remake THAT :p )
user Stupid cockwomble
OH ho! My dinghy is showing!
TechnoBill Freakazoid
WHooooo wanta some Wang?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I might have to buy it before they release the DLC's then as I am also a Access club member.
Agreed, Shadow Warrior was awesome. But nowadays, It would probably be completely censored and edited for content :(.
stonyshooto
well i really like nukem other than no one is ever on it its like why cant we just get in a game, like i paid for the new maps and cant even play them because they dont rotate them unless you play the same one over and over i like the old nukem maps way better they took 10 years to set it back 10 years
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
ukimalefu wrote:

I'd like to play it.

While you're waiting for the remake uki, Here's the original, with expansions, for a fiver
belloq451 wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

I'd like to play it.

While you're waiting for the remake uki, Here's the original, with expansions, for a fiver

Wow, works on OS X 10.6.8 or newer.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
It's just a flavor of DOSBox, but hey, it works.
user Stupid cockwomble
I managed to get get one of the expansions running on my G3. I think it was set up for Linux, but I figured out what I needed to do to get it to work under Panther. I was right proud of myself.
blurt mundus vult decipi
I have disks for Duke Atomic, Duke in DC, and Shadow Warrior somewhere. I have a silly urge to pull the G3 out of storage and play them again.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Official: What sucks about Duke Nukem Forever...thread