Dolphin

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
Mr. T Dude extraordinaire
I've been playing a lot of SSB Brawl as of late, which has left me with quite a bit of Wii envy. Since I didn't have a Wii, my natural inclination was to check out the state of Wii emulation. Much to my amazement, there's this emulator called Dolphin that just completely blew me away.

(1) Perfect speed --I haven't witnessed a single dropped frame (I have good hardware, so YMMV).
(2) Near-flawless emulation --Most games work perfectly; a few have very minor qwirks.
(3) Render at full 1600p with 8xAA 16xAF with per-pixel lighting. MUCH better than an actual Wii.
(4) Compatible with real Wiimotes, sensor bars, etc...
(5) Maps to an XBOX 360 controller without issue.
(6) Mac, Windows and Linux compatible.
(7) Also runs GameCube games (haven't tried any).
(8) BIOS skip feature

Seriously, if you have a reasonably fast machine and an HDMI cable, Dolphin is waaay better than the actual hardware. SSB, here I come!
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Yeah, Dolphin is impressive. It makes me excited for whatever Project Cafe will be.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Oh also, SSB Brawl is great!
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Dolphin...hmm, what console had that codename. Gah its been too long. If that runs GC games then I think I might just get it so I can run SoA on PC.
Damn, they're not very clear on the Video Card Requirements. Mine may or may not work.

PLEASE TELL ME I CAN PLAY RESIDENT EVIL 4 ON MY MINI!

In other news, I found a N64 emulator that seems to work fine, called Sixty Force.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Dolphin...hmm, what console had that codename. Gah its been too long. If that runs GC games then I think I might just get it so I can run SoA on PC.

The Gamecube.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Ya know theres Resident Evil 4 for PC?

Didn't know. But I don't have a PC.
user Stupid cockwomble
Got an Intel Mac?
user wrote:
Got an Intel Mac?

Won't do Bootcamp+Windows.

I do Cider/Crossover/Wine/Boxer/DosBox/emulators.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.

There was a Wii version, as well.

Also, I'm assuming there's a USB sensor bar, because how would you plug one into your Mac/PC otherwise? Although two candles would work just as well...
belloq451 wrote:

Also, I'm assuming there's a USB sensor bar, because how would you plug one into your Mac/PC otherwise? Although two candles would work just as well...

The sensor bar is just IR transmitters. They sell battery powered wireless ones; you could use one of those with a Mac.
MacAddict4Life wrote:
belloq451 wrote:

The sensor bar is just IR transmitters. They sell battery powered wireless ones; you could use one of those with a Mac.

Yep. I think it's all bluetooth.
I figure it should cost about $30 for me to get all the necessary hardware on ebay. I'm in the process of debating whether there is enough content available on the Wii to justify the cost. SSB maps wonderfully to the 360 controller, and most of the other games suck balls.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Dolphin