New Nintendo console on it's way?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
Post Reply
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/04/ninte ... ole-at-e3/

Quote:
How’s this for a bombshell? Game Informer and IGN are both confirming that Nintendo intends to unveil a new console at E3 this year. The news has been trickling in a lot over the last few hours, but here is the most recent information IGN as able to gleam from their sources:

It will at least be equal in power to the PS3 if not significantly more powerful.

The system will run in HD resolutions up to 1080p.

It will be backwardly compatible with all Wii software.

Nintendo is already showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a 2012 launch.

Nintendo is expected to make some kind of pre-E3 announcement regarding the system.

It isn’t known yet if it will carry the Wii name or not, but some of the news is saying that it won’t as Nintendo intends to launch a new brand with the console to recapture the hardcore gamer market.

NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
User avatar
Psst, guys, I got the insider scoop on what the new name will be!!!

Its...*drumroll*

WiiWii!!

Soon we shall all stand in front of the TV and play with our WiiWiis!!!

Seriously tho, bout time. Maybe for once we'll start moving out of this console generation and gaming can finally advance. One more small step to cheap and effective robot wives!! :D
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
Considering all of the new movement peripherals, I can't imagine that Sony and Microsoft would release new consoles until 2013 at the earliest, more likely 2014.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
Why would the peripherals slow them down.

It isn't like they couldn't be used with a newer console.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
The goal was for the current consoles to have a 10 year cycle, the movement peripherals and the 'slim' versions of each were to help make sure that happens.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I just heard at the store today that the price of the Wii has suddenly dropped.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
TechnoBill wrote:
http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/04/ninte ... ole-at-e3/

Quote:
How’s this for a bombshell? Game Informer and IGN are both confirming that Nintendo intends to unveil a new console at E3 this year. The news has been trickling in a lot over the last few hours, but here is the most recent information IGN as able to gleam from their sources:

It will at least be equal in power to the PS3 if not significantly more powerful.

The system will run in HD resolutions up to 1080p.

It will be backwardly compatible with all Wii software.

Nintendo is already showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a 2012 launch.

Nintendo is expected to make some kind of pre-E3 announcement regarding the system.

It isn’t known yet if it will carry the Wii name or not, but some of the news is saying that it won’t as Nintendo intends to launch a new brand with the console to recapture the hardcore gamer market.


Recapture the "hardcore gamer" market? When did Nintendo last have it captured.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
The new Wii is being referred to as the Wii HD.

Pronounced w-ee-d as in that is what Nintendo is smoking if it thinks it is "recapturing" the hard core gamer market.

:lol:
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
User avatar
Nintendo and hardcore gamers...hmmm...Mario 4 Dead! Its Mario Brothers, its Left 4 Dead, its...turtle zombies!!!

"Why's Princess Peach crying like that?"-Luigi
"Don't worry, I'll save yo-...ahhh she's clawing my face off!!"-Mario
"I hate Princess Peach...wait, how did we get into Mario Brothers?"-Francis
"I just ate a toadstool but only my breasts got bigger...what the hell?!"-Zoey
"Noo Mario!! He's dead!!"-Luigi
"You know...suddenly I don't hate this. Toadstool Zoey?"-Francis
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
Donkey Butter jerk face
User avatar
Nintendo Revolution
FunkyRes The artist formerly known as resedit
User avatar
TechnoBill wrote:
The new Wii is being referred to as the Wii HD.

Pronounced w-ee-d as in that is what Nintendo is smoking if it thinks it is "recapturing" the hard core gamer market.

:lol:


People said the same thing about Microsoft with their fantasies of XBOX being a success.
It was.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
In order to compete with the 360 and the PS3, they'll give guns to Mario.
Quit all the mocking of Nintendo. They are the innovative Apple equivalent of the gaming industry. They also own a larger market despite not catering to 'hardcore' as they dominate the family/casual and handheld markets.
Quote:

I'm going to rumour this Nintendo console to be a 3D projector based console. You just set it up at a canvas or blank wall pop on the (sold separate to keep prices low) 3D glasses and enjoy your big screen 3D games and movies.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
That chart shows no differentiation between handhelds and consoles.

Nintendo sells both hence the larger market share.

Show one that lists consoles only.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
Oh, and I think it is a stretch to call them the Apple of gaming consoles.

What the fiddlesticks does that even mean?
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
I feel that historically, Nintendo and Apple have a lot in common with the way they're perceived. Both are seen as making "toys" not for the "serious" user. Both faced rumors of going out of business, even though they continued to have more profitable business models than many of their competitors. Both have excellent flagship software. Both lead in design and innovation that the rest of the industry first dismisses as gimmicky, but then scrambles to copy.

Sony makes a handheld too.

I don't think Nintendo will do anything that requires 3D glasses. With the launch of the 3DS, they've made a big deal about how much 3D glasses suck.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
Why must Nintendo be the "Apple" of gaming though?

Why isn't it that Apple is the "Nintendo" of computing?

Is Apple so powerful and so iconic that others are made in its likeness and not the other way around?

I think the whole parallel is weak either way you say it.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
Apple products have a wider spread of use and influence than any gaming system would. Nintendo have said that they do look towards Apple for certain influence.

I've always felt the parallel was a particularly strong one, especially in the underdog years for the companies.

It's okeh to be an Apple fan and not like Nintendo or vice-versa. :shrug:
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
Sorry.

I'm just in a wasted off argumentative mood this afternoon.

It's been progressing all day. Now I just want to bite metal nails in two.
TechnoBill wrote:
Sorry.

I'm just in a wasted off argumentative mood this afternoon.

It's been progressing all day. Now I just want to bite metal nails in two.

This is different from normal how? ;)
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
User avatar
Sony also has a handheld too. I know PS3 sales have not surpassed Xbox.

I don't know if I'd qualify Apple as innovative anymore. I'm not seeing things they are doing which others aren't. They are just being successful with them. Sure there is OS features that are clearly innovative but as a whole, I used to see more happening in the past. With success comes laziness. No pressure to make that killer product just adds to it. Saw the same thing with Sega. Dreamcast was really a golden era. Their studios churned out a lot of fantastic games. Then they go to software and riding initial success, quality takes a huge dive, studios split. Pressure to keep the console afloat was a strong point.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
Aaron_R wrote:
Quit all the mocking of Nintendo. They are the innovative Apple equivalent of the gaming industry. They also own a larger market despite not catering to 'hardcore' as they dominate the family/casual and handheld markets.
Quote:

I'm going to rumour this Nintendo console to be a 3D projector based console. You just set it up at a canvas or blank wall pop on the (sold separate to keep prices low) 3D glasses and enjoy your big screen 3D games and movies.


I thought apple was the apple of the gaming industry.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
Did more than the 2 people here know Sony has a handheld?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
I knew. But I didn't think it amounted to much of that chart because Sony's PSP market share is pathetic compared to the sales and market saturation of the DS and all it's variants.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
I'm not sure if that chart is worldwide or what, but the PSP is gigantic in Japan.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
User avatar
It said in big letters above it "Estimated Annual US Marketshare in Dollars".
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
Yep, there it is.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
TechnoBill wrote:
That chart shows no differentiation between handhelds and consoles.

Nintendo sells both hence the larger market share.

Show one that lists consoles only.


Wii is the winner by far.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
User avatar
Funny, I've seen kids in stores with both PSPs and DS units. Generally its DS. For every PSP I see maybe 5+ DS. Think people know about it but the titles that kids want tend to be more for DS. If you remember the original PSP ads, they seemed to be more marketed to the teen and up crowd. Its just different markets. Course Japan is bigger on PSP. But then I can see why. PSP does more than the original DS. Took Nintendo awhile to finally add cameras and such. But they got a huge portable gaming and phone market compared to us.

After owning a PSP, unless Nintendo scores something like a Skies of Arcadia portable remake...I'd rather have my PSP/2 over their 3DS. Really don't use my DS much since I got my PSP. Course part of that reason is because DS game titles that I want, come out then almost instantly disappear. Never go on sale, then later I see them running 2-3x the price for a used. PSP titles I can generally find again and for low price with the exception of a few. Last DS title I bought was Infinite Space and that I couldn't find for months till I came across it in a Gamestop one day and they didn't realize it was going for $100+ online at some places.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Funny, I've seen kids in stores with both PSPs and DS units. Generally its DS. For every PSP I see maybe 5+ DS. Think people know about it but the titles that kids want tend to be more for DS. If you remember the original PSP ads, they seemed to be more marketed to the teen and up crowd. Its just different markets.

That's the point I was trying to make with the graph data. Most hardcore gamers are disorientated as they think 'oh Nintendo don't have the hardcore gamer market, they suck' When in all actually the hardcore market is a tiny sliver of pie compared to the casual/family market which the Wii does have.
TechnoBill wrote:
Is Apple so powerful and so iconic that others are made in its likeness and not the other way around?

Yes.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
I just never hear about the PSP anymore. I didn't think they'd sold it in a few years. Shows what i know. Although, i don't usually follow Sony.
They released a PSP+ or Go or something that ended up replacing the original. It was a download and play handheld launched with a bunch of PSN minis titles. What good that does seeing as the network is going on 6 days down. The PSP2 is suppose to be launching this holiday season tiss why I said I'd wait to get a 3DS as the price will probably come down like 10 or 20 bucks to compete with it.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
User avatar
Go didn't really replace PSP. They wanted it to but it just sucks. When it launched there was almost no support for it. Plus all your PSP library would be void since they had no way of transferring the hardcopy to digital. Then you also have incredibly small storage capacities. 8/16GB does not go very far. Additional memory sticks aren't big either. Sony should have just waited till PSP2 to go digital vs making the PSPgo.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
Aaron_R wrote:
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Funny, I've seen kids in stores with both PSPs and DS units. Generally its DS. For every PSP I see maybe 5+ DS. Think people know about it but the titles that kids want tend to be more for DS. If you remember the original PSP ads, they seemed to be more marketed to the teen and up crowd. Its just different markets.

That's the point I was trying to make with the graph data. Most hardcore gamers are disorientated as they think 'oh Nintendo don't have the hardcore gamer market, they suck' When in all actually the hardcore market is a tiny sliver of pie compared to the casual/family market which the Wii does have.



I don't have the stats on me and I don't have time to grab them (I'll try tomorrow if no one else can) but I'm pretty sure that although the Wii has sold a huge amount of consoles, they don't sell very many games per console.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
Wii still wins in total game sales. And Nintendo is the top overall publisher year after year.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

New Nintendo console on it's way?

Page: 1, 2