Class Action EA suit

Online now: avkills, Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, juice, maurvir
so I got this e-mial the other day and seeing as no one else mentioned anything about it here it is
Quote:
To view this email as a web page, click here.

GEOFFREY PECOVER and ANDREW OWENS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.)
Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW

If You Purchased Certain Electronic Arts Brand Football Video Games
Between January 1, 2005 to the Present
You May Be a Class Member.

Membership as a class member in the Electronic Arts Litigation is the result of a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division (Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW).

What Is This Class Action About?
The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.
Defendant Electronic Arts has denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct. The Court has not decided whether the Defendants did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

Who Are Class Members?
The Class includes all persons who, during the period January 1, 2005 to the present, purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League brand video games published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005 to the present. Excluded from the class are purchasers of software for mobile devices, persons purchasing directly from Electronic Arts, persons purchasing used copies of the relevant football video games, and Electronic Arts' employees, officers, directors, legal representatives, and wholly or partly owned subsidiaries or affiliated companies.

What Should I Do? (Getting Further Information)
If you believe that you may be a class member (see above "Who Are Class Members"), you should get more detailed information about the class action and its potential effect on you and your rights. Further information can be obtained by going to the following website: http://www.easportslitigation.com. Additional information about the lawsuit may be obtained from Plaintiffs' Counsel website at http://www.hbsslaw.com, or by calling Plaintiffs' Counsel at 1-206-623-7292.

To Remain a Class Member
If you are a class member and you do nothing, you will be bound by the court's rulings in the lawsuit, including any final Settlement or Judgment.

To Exclude Yourself from the Class
(Deadline to Request Exclusion: June 25, 2011)
If you are a class member and you want to exclude yourself from the class and keep your right to sue Defendant, you must take further action before June 25, 2011. By that date, you must request exclusion in writing to this address:
Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion
P.O. Box 8090
San Rafael CA 94912-8090

Or submit a request for exclusion electronically at the following website: http://www.easportslitigation.com

For further information about excluding yourself from the class go to the following website:
http://www.easportslitigation.com

Please do not telephone or address inquiries to the Court.
April 6, 2011. By Order of the U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.).

NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
So wait...they are suing EA because they went out and paid full price for a sports game?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I think part of it is the fact that EA has a monopoly on NFL sports games.
It has to do with the EA Sports monopoly on all American Football franchises. But why the plaintiff does not also involve the NFL & NCAA in the suit is beyond me. As the contract of exclusivity for the franchise gaming rights was signed by both and is a two way street. It's not as if EA is taking legal actions to prevent others from making those certain franchise games. It's that those other who want to make a game with the franchises can't because the contract EA purchased from them both stipulates that they are the sole company who gets the licensing rights for gaming. Hell, I would love to see another 2K Sports NFL All-Stars game hit the self but legally this suit is pointless unless they add to the brief so it addresses monopolistic contract exclusivity with the NFL and NCAA. But that'll also be no guaranteed win.
On a side note I'm glad Nascar decided not to renew their exclusive licensing contract with EA Sports. After playing Nascar 2011 it is in my opinion a great base game.
The 2k series was good to me till Dreamcast ended. Course a lot of those Sega brands were great then but terrible after. Pressure of supporting the system made them work harder. Haven't bought a sports game since then. Me personally I finally got tired of the yearly routine. Paying the high price per year for a game that has no resale value after the next year comes. Like someday for a developer to just make the base game and then update it yearly via DLC/etc. Add the rosters in that way, then run updates on the engine as it goes. Not going to happen because they make more money off the more wasteful approach they are now.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I only buy the NHL games, but over the past few years I've noticed dramatic improvements every year and I've been more than happy to buy the new game.
i dont buy sports games. Seems a waste of money to pay for new players and stats every year especially if you cant resell them when you are done playing them.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Except that you can resell them when you are done playing them. Plus I've gotten many more hours out of many NBA games than most people did out of Elder Scrolls IV or whatever.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
How many times have people re-bought Pokemon or Mario or whatever? Do you tell them it seems a waste of money to pay for new levels and graphics?
Having played both football titles EA Sports FIFA 20XX and Konami Pro Evolution 20XX throughout the past years both games have gotten better in some aspects over their previous versions. Now the question is are the improvements just from player feedback being implemented in the next games generation or is it from having to improve/add features over the competition? Regardless the MSRP between the two titles is not the same so I guess these people filing the suit might have a base for arguing price competition.

I do hope that the licensing lockouts gets bought up in this judgment because it sucks.
Lets say gaming company A wants to make a game for a brand new billion dollar sport. They go into the offices and pay for the moderate licensing fee no problem. After cashing in on the game the 1st year they decide to make another the following year. Meanwhile gaming company B sees that this kind of game created a profitable market and wants to get in on the action. However company B finds out that they can't because the now established company A has used their profits from the prior game to pay for lockout licensing.

Ah but I just remembered a suit involving the NFL and lockout licensing is already under way. Sometime ago a clothing retailer paid licensing fees to several popular teams to produce headgear with their logos and names and what not. Later the NFL signed lockout licensing for headgear with Reebok and since teams are members of the NFL the clothing company couldn't produce or sell their products any more even though they paid the individual teams for the licensing. Seeing as NFL licensing was expensive it made sense to invest in a few profitable teams whose fees where significantly lower than that of the NFLs. They are suing for lost compensation and for the elimination of the lockout contract so they can continue to make and sell their products.

Edit: link about the hats wonder what ever happened is the case still pending?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I see nothing wrong with a brand (the nfl, nhl, fifa, whoever) wanting to protect their brand image by choosing one company they feel will portray their brand properly.
Well there did used to be more sports game franchises back in the day. Trouble was, EA usually beat them out most years. I only have one non EA sports game for my Genesis and that was a Sega Sports NFL..like to say 95. Playstation era, I was more 50/50 with EA. One year I'd go EA, next I'd go 989. There was years EA was being beaten but it seems like they just endured longer. Established their brand name better for sports.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Class Action EA suit