3DS is here and it is awesome!!!

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
None of my other threads really flowed into this. So here is a 3DS thread now that the system is out. Because I know you will all buy 3DSes and come be my friend very very soon!!!

OH!!! I already got a new Mii and stuff via Street Pass! I AM NOT ALONE! Also, I was playing Face Raiders, and it saw a baby photo of H-bomb on my desk and it added his face to the game automatically. I LOVE NINTENDO!!!!!!!!
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
A while back I was all set to buy the DS Phat, but I read in Nintendo Power and on the internet that a redesigned one was coming, so I waited.

Aside from that, $250 is just a little too much right now, and the rev. 2 model will be better (and probably cheaper.)

Don't mean to rain pickles on your parade, the tech looks pretty sweet. Have fun with it!
You not having $250 to spend on game stuff rains no pickles on my parade. ;) However, I wouldn't hold my breathe on a rev 2 model anytime soon. A lot of the DS features have already been perfected with the previous models, and Nintendo always sells its hardware at a profit. My guess is it'll be awhile before much changes.
belloq451 wrote:
A while back I was all set to buy the DS Phat, but I read in Nintendo Power and on the internet that a redesigned one was coming, so I waited.

Aside from that, $250 is just a little too much right now, and the rev. 2 model will be better (and probably cheaper.)

I beg to differ, I love my original DS and I think the newer models were worse and cheaper made.
Aaron_R wrote:
So burly and well made than all those other flimsy DS lites and i's. Had it since launch and not one problem whereas people I know who have DS lites have had breakage on the hinge and LR triggers.
I do agree on your waiting. Probably around the holidays I'm sure their will be sales going on for the unit as it'll be competing in a sales war against the just released PSP2.

Malkin having used it for at least a day now do you think Nintendo has something here with Sharps 3D tech? Like do you think the 3D tech you have been enjoying in your new DS is good enough to start catching on in other markets like maybe mobile phones fro example?
Aaron_R wrote:
Probably around the holidays I'm sure their will be sales going on for the unit as it'll be competing in a sales war against the just released PSP2.

Yeah, and also hopefully Zelda and Mario 3D will be out by then. I'm just not impressed enough with the launch lineup to justify it.
Everybody I know has been impressed with the 3D. Aaron had some issues with his glasses and glare at night, but problems were minimal.

I certainly think we will see uses for this technology expand, especially as it improves. The ability to adjust the depth and turn the 3D off makes it much friendlier to a lot of people.
I've had two more Street Pass friends, and it's not even 11 am!! I am THRILLED!!!!!
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I think i'd like one in the future, but it's not in the cards right now. Or rather, it's not in the wallet right now.
Hey Malkin,

I am going to super duper trust you here...

I am buying my son a new DS this coming week and he wont come out and TELL me which one he wants, so I am going to rely on the next biggest Nintendo portable fanperson that I know and ask you.

Do I get him a DSi XL or the 3DS? I am willing to shell out the extra $$ so that is not an issue at all. Please, though, give me a reasonable and intelligent argument for/against the choice of getting the 3DS.

I really appreciate anything you might be able to tell me.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I'll probably hold out for an NGP.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The 3D photography available on the 3DS is pretty compelling.
If it were more than VGA resolution, I'd agree :D

I am getting an iPad2 for my mobile gaming fix. When you've got an iPad, who needs 3D photography? :D
3DS. XL is for old people and giants. ;)
Warin wrote:
If it were more than VGA resolution, I'd agree :D

I am getting an iPad2 for my mobile gaming fix. When you've got an iPad, who needs 3D photography? :D

Ah well, from a professional or serious hobbyists point of view, the resolution is kind of disappointing, but if I were a kid, I'd probably go nuts posting and trading 3D photos with my friends...heck, it would probably get me interested in going outside again instead of just playing video games.

I agree though, I wouldn't really compare this to an ipad.
Old people and giants. lol :D

Thanks for the opinion, Malkin. I think he really wants the 3DS so that's what I will get him. He wants Nintendogs or Street Fighter as well. AND Pokemon Black. heh. And I am also going to surprise him with a new 32gig Touch at the same time, I think.

And I am a little worried at just how many 3D genitalia photos might make their way between handhelds :P
Damn! You are one generous dad! Have fun playing!
Money came from my Mom's estate... so it will be like a last awesome present from his grandmother. :)
:)

I have gotten a new Street Pass friend every day at work. It makes me so happy. :D
My son hasnt found a single street pass friend yet. Boo!

He brought over his 3DS and I got a chance to try it out. I was happily surprised by how well the 3D working in Street Fighter, the game he wound up choosing. I was expecting it to be hokey, but it wound up being pretty damn cool!
I finally got a chance to play with one at Gamestop this afternoon. Had to self-adjust my height a little to make the 3D work right, since it was wall-mounted so low, but by golly it is pretty sweet! Still going to wait for some real titles, though.
They set it at a height for little people (term chosen to show how stupid it is).
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Warin, malkin and anyone else with one:

Now that it's been out a while, are there any issues with it now that you've been using it regularly? I started hearing complaints about headaches etc, but i'm guessing those are people that get headaches watching the movies, too.
I've really only played with it for about 20 minutes and I experienced no problems. my son, however, says that if he has the 3D cranked to max and plays for more than an hour or so, he starts to get queasy/headachey. He just turns the effect to about 3/4 and is good to go.

Mostly, he's playing Pokemon Black. So it isnt like he needed a 3DS for that anyways :P
I think crossing your eyes for an hour will give anyone a headache.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

3DS is here and it is awesome!!!